Did you know that most major plumbing disasters start off as simple issues that could have been easily resolved? If you are one of those homeowners who want to learn more for the betterment of their household, this article is for you. Plumbing problems are sometimes like a box of chocolates; you’ll never know what you are going to get. The best way to handle all plumbing concerns is to call a plumbing contractor. However, there are proper ways on how you can address plumbing issues without needing the aid of a professional plumber. When you are in a tight spot, it helps to know a thing or two.
Here are some plumbing tips that you should know about:
Shutting off the water supply
If there’s a major leak in your basement or anywhere in your house, the best way to control the situation is to turn off the water supply. In doing so, you can effectively limit the damage of the leak while you are waiting for the plumber to arrive. Bear in mind that you can’t fix all plumbing Myrtle Beach, SC concerns on your own. Although you can attempt to make simple patch-ups, major plumbing repairs require the expertise of a professional.
Shutting off the water heater
There are different kinds of residential water heaters. Some are gas-powered while others run on electricity. It is important to know how to turn off the water heater once it starts acting up. As for gas-powered water heaters, you can turn them off by turning the control knob from “on” to “pilot”. As for electric water heaters, you may flip the switch like you would any electric appliance. If basic troubleshooting won’t do the trick, call a plumber to fix water heater issues.
Common plumbing concerns
There will be some other plumbing issues that you might encounter. Although most of them are not that serious, other plumbing problems like leaking pipes can be a major threat to your home. When you encounter these issues, be sure to check with your plumber. You can do a little troubleshooting on your own but be sure to call a plumber if you can’t fix the problem after a few attempts.
- Running toilet – a running toilet happens when the flapper is not working properly. The mechanisms that allow the flapper to open and close might be jammed or there could be an obstruction that is keeping the flapper from closing.
- Kitchen sink backup – when your kitchen sink starts to back up, there’s something that’s blocking it. You can open the p-trap under the sink to see what is causing the blockage.
- Leaking pipes – any kind of leaking pipe can potentially turn into a major plumbing problem. Be sure to have leaks checked and fixed by an expert like MBHS Plumbing.
- Clogged showerhead – a clogged showerhead often results from sediments that are trapped inside. Most showerheads can be disassembled and cleaned. If not, have it replaced.
- Dripping faucets – wear and tear will cause dripping faucets. Just like clogged showerheads, most faucets can be taken apart. If not, have your plumber install a new one.
For professional and reliable plumbing services, you may call on MBHS Plumbing. You may reach us at (843) 353-6283.
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577